Tuesday, April 5, 2011

the soundtrack



It seems an odd genre to enjoy, but I've found a great respect for film soundtracks. The relationship between image and soundtrack is so unbelievably crucial to a film's success.



All three of these films films (all from roughly the same time period - '86 for The Mission, '85 for Out of Africa and '93 for The Piano) are all successful stories, but their soundtrack stands out as an incredible monument created for the cinematic composer.



They might not be as in-your-face as more contemporary films, but it is their subtly and consistent themes which make them powerful. I've noticed that a lot of films these days may have a 'theme' song, but it isn't used throughout the film. Mostly the soundtracks of today are a mash of loud electronically produced noises. However, that being said, there are some brilliant modern film soundtracks.



The brilliance of these 3 movies and songs is their themes have the ability to get tweaked in different ways to suit the situation of the film. ANYWAY!!! I'll stop my rambling. You might not enjoy them, and that's fine, but I just felt like sharing.

No comments: