My friend from Uni, Lina, said she wanted to see the movie Limitless (trailer below). We lazily made our way to the movies and because Lina used to work there we got free tickets. The movie was brilliant! Loved it! It was just what i was feeling. Eddie (played by Bradley Cooper) is offered a pill by a incredibly confident ex-brother-in-law. The basis of the pill (and the movie) is that we only use 20% of our brains; this pill connects the Brain's circuits too 100% functionality. It is a brilliant idea and it's scary to think that this could well be possible with today's pharmaceutical advancements. There are some extraordinary cinematic tricks director Neil Burger uses to show the power of the drug. Of course, as in any Hollywood made film, there are people after the main character. Naturally of course, who wouldn't be after a drug which enables the user to remember EVERYTHING that they've seen, heard or experienced and use it in the dilemma at hand!!

This film is very hard to fault and I found the chic, luxuriant lifestyle enviable. It was like a GQ magazine in cinema form. I noticed some subtle allusions to power obsessed artists (the Rothko paintings in particular). These brought me to the conclusion of a focused director who is obsessed with detail. Ironic, considering the films drug brings about an unnatural level of focus an attention (a subtle film technique perhaps?).
I found myself walking the streets after coming out of this movie with a strange amount of confidence. The city looked enticing and vibrant. I could see detail everywhere. Lina and I then went to Chinatown and had some beautiful Japanese food. We wandered around Kinokuniya bookshop and i drooled over the delectable architecture books, the landscape design books, the art books and found myself drifting from Lina and spent over a hour looking through the entire shop. If it wasn't for her needing to go to work and my acknowledgement that the sun was setting, I could have stayed there all night.
Anyway, I found a calm spot on the train ride home where I could loose myself in my current book, Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly. It's pretty bad but enjoyable. Far fetched from the first page, the book is an Indiana Jones-Ancient-Myths-of-end-of-the-world-prophecy-lost-for-2000years-until now kinda book. Trashy but good to space out too.
I was listening to was some random chilout/lounge CD i found from the public library. This is a remix of Bob Marley's Classic Sun is Shining by ReUnited. Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment